The School of Art, Design, and Art History is seeking a part-time Public Relations and Visual Resources Assistant to manage the School's website, weekly newsletter distribution, on-line calendar, digital signage, and to maintain the Madison Digital Image Database (MDID). This position is part-time (29 hours per week), working between mid-August and May 31 each academic year with no benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide day-to-day support for the School's public relations and image resources including the website, social media, weekly newsletter, on-line calendar, digital signage, and the Madison Digital Image Database (MDID) by working closely with the faculty and our colleagues in the library. The employee will also participate in training for using Artstor-JSTOR. Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain the school's website
• Prepare and distribute a weekly email newsletter highlighting upcoming events, faculty/staff/student accomplishments, etc
• Support the public relations needs of the director, faculty, staff, and students
• Support the MDID imaging needs of the faculty
• Scan and correct images using flatbed and slide scanners and Adobe Photoshop
• Create and edit digital image metadata in Excel to conform to MDID schema, using appropriate cultural heritage standards (VRA Core, Getty vocabularies, etc.)
• Supervise student employees, verify that their work meets established standards, and provide training and guidance on their job duties
• Manage circulation and maintenance of the School's check-out system for equipment such as laptops and projectors
• Manage scheduling and student use of the School's lighting studio
- Knowledge of art history, highly developed research skills, and comfortable with technology
• Fluency in Excel, Photoshop, Word, and research databases; experience with Mac and Windows
• Experience with maintaining websites and other social media
• Experience in digital photography and/or background in the arts
• Highly developed organizational skills and strong attention to detail; ability to multitask and balance several deadlines at once
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Understanding of the Madison Digital Image Database and/or basic database concepts preferred
• The desired candidate will have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, knowledge of programs offered within the School of Art, Design and Art History, and be a motivated self-starter who is comfortable working both independently and within a group setting
To apply visit our website and reference posting number S1367. Hourly rate is $12.69 per hour. This is a part-time wage position working an average of 29 hours per week over the course of a calendar year with no benefits. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.
Location/Region: Harrisonburg, VA (22807)