The School of Art, Design, and Art History (SADAH) at James Madison University is accepting applications for a part-time Studio Art Technician(s) who will support operations and safety for the Studio Art and Foundations areas used for instruction of Ceramics, Fibers, Foundations, Painting and Drawing, Metals, Photography and Sculpture. The position will be 10-25 hours per week, during the fall and spring semesters only.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Studio Art Technician will perform a variety of duties within the Studio Art and Foundations areas located in Duke Hall and Memorial Hall Arts Complex (MHAC). All areas will be supported, but emphasis will be on 3D processes and equipment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct routine organization and maintenance of studios; work order submissions; and repair, installation, and replacement of studio tools and equipment, as identified by faculty.
- Maintain inventories; prepare orders; and receive/deliver supplies, chemicals, and other studio materials and equipment, as requested by faculty.
- Effectively support the students and faculty who use the Foundations and Studio Art facilities for the production of their creative work; this includes firing kilns, mixing clay and other studio activities, as requested by faculty.
- Serve the pedagogical interests of the school and studio areas while keeping all areas in compliance with Environmental Health and Safety, Risk Management, and Facilities Management, participating in safety walk-throughs and following up on any immediate or long-term safety projects.
- Provide training and oversight of students in relation to studio procedures and safety issues, such as using the laser cutter or 3D printers, as requested by faculty.
- Additional responsibilities or tasks as assigned by the School Director.
The desired candidate must have a basic understanding of equipment maintenance and repair, and of studio art materials and functions, as well as a willingness to learn about the specific labs and equipment in the studio areas of Ceramics, Fibers, Foundations, Painting and Drawing, Metals, Photography, and Sculpture in SADAH. The desired candidate will also be experienced with word processing and record keeping, and possess excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills including a demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community.
To apply visit our website and reference posting number S1392. Hourly rate is $12.69 per hour. This is a part-time wage position working an average of 10-25 hours per week, during the fall and spring semesters only, with no benefits. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.