At PMN we’re passionate about building a premier local news media organization that benefits everyone in the community. We care about moving fast, real-world change and building diverse, dynamic teams. Our engineers are working on everything from optimizing payment systems to integrating new social media platforms, and everything in between! We’re exploring and applying advertising technologies, marketing technologies, big-data analytics, video, audio, mobile, AI and ML processes, all focused on better serving our audiences.
Join our team in working on projects and problems that include:
- Building out a new technology stack both functionally and technically, while phasing out legacy systems along the way
- Rebuilding content systems, front-end user experiences, social media and SEO, while developing a sophisticated data analytics platform
- Expanding upon, and rebuilding, our digital infrastructure into a long-term scalable system
We're looking for a self-starter with a positive attitude, passion for solving difficult problems, and a hunger for knowledge. The ideal candidate is one who can break a problem apart, analyze from different angles, and put an elegant solution in place.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in high-level discussion with architect and business teams to prioritize and complex technology problems
- Coach and lead engineering team to implement UI/UX designs, building out API’s, and developing backend services.
- Regularly and effectively communicate with developers and non-technical team members, including product and analytics
- 5 - 7 years software engineering experience with intense focus on object oriented languages
- A deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms
- Ability to work in a highly demanding environment while also remaining flexible; able to change goals as business needs require
- Experience with object oriented design, serve-side scripting, and building backend applications with REST API services using Python or Node.js
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering best practices (e.g. Agile software development, test-driven development, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, etc.) and experience working across the entire software engineering stack
- Successful in shipping high-profile user-facing products, working with large code bases, and engineering features for security, scalability, and high availability
- Experience with performance optimization techniques
- Knowledge of multithreading programming preferred
- Experience writing scripts to automate the provisioning and maintenance of systems in a distributed, virtualized infrastructure preferred
Location/Region: Philadelphia, PA (US)