SUMMARY: Voice of San Diego seeks an experienced digital media specialist to support our efforts to reach a larger audience by leveraging existing tools and identifying new technology and opportunities. This role is responsible for overseeing the development, implementation and maintenance of our infrastructure and software utilized for the organization's website. The successful candidate will coordinate with stakeholders to ensure that the site provides content and functionality that meet the business needs of the organization.
Launched in 2005, Voice of San Diego was the first digital nonprofit news organization to serve a local community. Its founders, longtime columnist and editor Neil Morgan and entrepreneur Buzz Woolley, felt the region desperately needed more reporting and journalistic competition. VOSD made a name nationally with hard-hitting investigative reports and by creating a new business model for supporting that kind of journalism that hundreds of others have borrowed from across the country. It's based on civic engagement and opportunities for San Diego residents to discuss and debate the issues that impact their quality of life. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, we are fully funded by individual members, major charitable gifts, foundations and community partnerships.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage website in Wordpress, creating new pages, troubleshooting and optimizing to drive readership. Organize content on the site to aid discoverability, boost readership, and increase subscribe rate. Add new content to site under direction of editorial and operations teams (update web pages, add weekly videos, create Partner Voices posts, etc.). Identify content gaps and initiate recommendations to content creators to maximize impact.
- Manage connections with external sites and referral sources (Google News, Apple News, Facebook, Flipboard, SmartNews, etc.) to maximize content distribution. Set up new connections and troubleshoot existing ones as needed.
- Prepare and distribute a monthly engagement report. Monitor Google Analytics, social media analytics, Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools to ensure site is properly indexed and search visibility continues to improve. Report on site speed, traffic, bounce rates and other measures and work to improve site performance across the board. Provide recommendations to editorial, engagement, and operations teams to enhance performance.
- Troubleshoot website issues as needed; communicate work assignments and priorities to external developer; manage all tasks in GitHub; test all patches, updates and site improvements to ensure they are working correctly.
- Oversee digital promotion of VOSD content on social media platforms. SEM expert to manage pay-per-click (PPC) marketing activities and all paid campaigns on Google, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Reddit. Track success and identify new opportunities.
- Execute VOSD brand strategy digitally.
- Act as in-house MailChimp expert. Design and maintain templates for all VOSD email products. Assist operations team with formatting and segmenting campaigns as needed. Create RSS campaigns for new email products under direction from editorial team; ensure proper integration with website.
- Manage automated workflows under direction of operations team; update existing drip campaigns and create new ones as needed.
- Troubleshoot issues with campaigns and email delivery as needed.
- Monitor mailing list; analyze trends in subscribe rate, open rate, and email product performance as part of monthly engagement report.
- Maintain VOSD MailChimp manual for reference by staff; review every 6 months to ensure it stays current; update/revise manual as needed.
- Identify new and innovative ideas and capabilities to build audience and engagement
- Follow and engage industry thought leaders, media and member clients on relevant channels.
- Develop and maintain productive, informative and respectful relationships that support the achievement of Voice of San Diego’s mission statement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements following this paragraph are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in similar position (social media specialist, web specialist, web editor)
- Extensive knowledge of social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram)
- Proven understanding of best practices for social marketing and community management and development
- Web development and editing skills including WordPress, Google Analytics, web usability, SEO, etc.
- A working knowledge of various digital media formats (images, video)
- Strong communication skills
- Energy, enthusiasm and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and demanding targets
- Self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Ability to adapt to change and competing priorities.
Location/Region: San Diego, CA (US - 92101)