James Madison University (JMU) Telecommunications is accepting applications for an entry level Telecommunications Technician to install, repair, maintain and upgrade all forms of CATV, network and telecommunications infrastructures throughout JMU properties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install and maintain Telecommunications Infrastructure and equipment.
- Locate and mark underground telecommunications, CATV and network cabling to prevent damages that might compromise systems or services.
- Basic to advanced technical skills and knowledge of telecommunications industry and/or installation including voice, data and video structured cabling systems. Working knowledge of telecommunications wiring.
- Understanding of Telecom Color Code for copper and or fiber media.
- Demonstrable experience of commercial or residential installation of Category 5E, Category 6 and Category 6A cabling, terminating and testing.
- Ability to use basic hand and power tools such as drills, saws, levels, etc.
- Ability to safely work independently and as part of a team. Needs to be a team player with a “can-do” attitude.
- Excellent customer service skills with effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to positively engage with JMU and non-JMU personnel.
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills with ability to efficiently work on numerous concurring projects/tasks and prioritize accordingly.
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be trustworthy and dependable.
- Ability to stand, kneel, squat, bend and climb for long periods of time. Ability to lift 50+ pounds repetitively.
- Ability to learn how to work with all variations of video, voice and data infrastructure design, installation, practices, standards and equipment in both inside and outside facilities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with ability to accurately complete documentation in a timely manner.
- Must be able to support departmental and university mission and vision.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
To apply go to our website and reference posting number S1453. Salary range is $33,598 - $36,000.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.
Location/Region: Harrisonburg, VA (US - 22807)