Reckon has proven itself as the place where Alabama comes together to talk about problems and seek answers to some of the region's toughest issues. And now, we're looking for the next top editor to help build on that success, developing Reckon as the go-to modern news brand for millennials across the South.
The Director of Reckon will lead news strategy, drive news content that will connect with audiences, and search for solutions. This isn't a role for someone who just wants to point out problems. This is a role for someone who wants to push toward change -- and continue to shape how that change happens.
- Overseeing editorial strategy for the brand, including reporting staff, podcasts, video content, social channels and more. The editor should be well-versed in news ethics, investigative work and digital storytelling techniques.
- Setting the editorial direction of Reckon news coverage, including leading the production of agenda-setting work at least quarterly, developing content strategies in line with news goals of audience, working to create urgent news content that elevates Reckon as the go-to modern news brand for Southern millennials
- Collaborating with AL.com leadership on news coverage for Alabama and the region.
- Growing and developing audience across platforms, focusing on social, products and digital news-storytelling techniques.
- Mentoring and developing staff, editors. Hiring and recruiting talent.
- Embracing an entrepreneurial mindset, collaborating to create revenue opportunities to support Reckon. This includes being imaginative, going beyond the industry buzzwords and experimenting with different approaches and methods.
- Dedication to diversity in storytelling and thinking. Must work to develop a deep knowledge of the South, including its people, culture and issues.
- Understanding of analytics and their role in developing content, audience.
We see Reckon as a social-media news brand of smart stories about the South, from the South. And, it's a home for award-winning journalism, with Pulitzer Prize, IRE award and Emmy award winners on staff. Reporters have been supported through several smart grants and fellowships.
We've built an engaged, committed social community. We serve our new audiences through social conversations and groups, e-newsletters, podcasts, programmatic video and in-person events.
We've also developed a regional and national presence. In 2017, Reckon debuted "Chasing Corruption," a video series on Facebook Watch that was recognized as Best in Show at the 2019 Global Media Awards. In 2019, we created the social media conversation Reckon | Women, winning support from Facebook and Lenfest Institute, and Solutions Journalism Network.
This position will report to the vice president of content for Alabama Media Group. Reckon is a part of Alabama Media Group. This position is based in Birmingham, Alabama.
In your cover letter, please detail what key elements you believe are needed in a modern, millennial-focused news brand and describe your inspiration for innovation.
Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with the up-to-the-minute access of AL.com. Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama in the communities we serve.
Alabama Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
Location/Region: Birmingham, AL (35203)