The Office of Advancement Marketing at James Madison (JMU) is accepting applications for an Assistant Director of Campaign Communications, to play a vital role in developing strategic content to support efforts to advance philanthropic relationships with JMU. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing sophisticated fundraising or promotional materials; compelling, meaningful storytelling in support of fundraising and stewardship; and demonstrated top-notch writing and substantive and developmental editorial skills. Additional technical skills such as video editing, web development and graphic design would be beneficial.
This position, which is funded for three years (through June 30, 2021), will work closely with communications and marketing, fundraising and stewardship staff as well as with campus partners in support of one-on-one fundraising and stewardship strategies and events for high-level donors and donor prospects. This position reports to the Director of Campaign Communications.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Research and develop cases, gift proposals, event collateral, white papers, newsletters, video and event scripts, and other sophisticated content consistent with JMU brand and campaign messaging guidelines.
- Help create, implement and track recognition and communication strategies and plans for donors and high-level gifts.
- Identify and develop meaningful content for recognition and impact stories.
- Serve as primary copyeditor and editorial quality control on Advancement Marketing materials.
- Support campaign event programming.
- Collaborate with other communications and marketing content creators to advance and produce fundraising content and stories for the campaign website, Madison Magazine, social media and other JMU channels.
- Participate in Communications and Marketing editorial skill community.
- Manage and execute projects.
- Manage relationships with print vendors and creative agencies to fulfill project requirements.
- Collaborate as needed on other Advancement Marketing priorities.
-Help oversee work of student interns/employees.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in public relations or cause-based, branded content creation.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, english or a related field.
- Experience collaborating and managing projects, especially related to content creation.
- Experience in developing strategic communications in support of philanthropy.
- Experience in producing or supporting programming for events.
- Superior writing and editing skills with exceptional attention to accuracy and detail.
- Great instinct for identifying and developing compelling and meaningful stories in support of fundraising.
- Self-confident and genial personality with a positive attitude and tenacity to get things done.
- Experience in an institutional (education, government or nonprofit) setting preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of JMU strongly preferred.
To apply go to our website and reference posting number F1159. Salary is commensurate with experience.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.
Location/Region: Harrisonburg, VA (US - 22807)