Responsibilities: The Executive Director will provide operational leadership to a very successful 12-year Sports Authority, that is guided by a 15-member appointed Board of Directors with a charge of aggressively pursuing and securing high-impact sport-related events, teams and opportunities that will add to the economic development, as well as bring national and international exposure, to the greater Sioux Falls area.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Maintains and enhances all aspects of recruiting, marketing, fundraising, and logistical workings that will ensure the success of the Sioux Falls Sports Authority and its events.
- Hires, trains, and evaluates the work of a qualified, responsible, and professional staff.
- Manages the Sports Authority’s financial affairs, including the preparation of an annual budget and regular reports to the Board of Directors.
- Establishes and maintains contact with the public and private leadership structure of the city and maintains effective relationships with other business, university and community-based organizations to retain and attract new sport business.
- Serves as the organization’s primary spokesperson with media and general-public speaking engagements.
- Serves as liaison between municipal members Convention and Visitors Bureaus, Parks and Recreation, elected officials, facility mangagers and hoteliers with regard to sporting events and initiatives.
- Ensures that the organization remains current of changing needs and opportunities.
- Maintains a close working relationship with Chairman of the Board and other officers in the successful implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Quality NCAA leadership experience a plus.
- Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in relevant field.
- Must have knowledge in standard office procedures and administrative practices including budgeting.
- General knowledge computer skills are necessary as is experience with print, television, and social media.
- Ability to build long term relationships and persuasive communication skills a must.
Organization: The Sioux Falls Sports Authority was formed in 2006 by community leaders to recruit major sporting events to the Sioux Falls area. It is managed by a board of directors made up of 15 community members, an executive director, project director and project assistant. Since its inception, the Sports Authority has hosted numerous National Collegiate Athletic Association National Championships, tournaments and other sporting events, including the Summit League Basketball Championships since 2009 and the Sioux Falls Marathon since 2015. For more information, visit
Location: Sioux Falls, S.D.
Application Deadline: Friday, July 13, 2018
Desired Start Date: Monday, August 13, 2018
Salary: Commensurate with experience
More Information: Send letter of application along with Resume and three (3) relative industry references to (electronic submission preferred):
Sioux Falls Sports Authority
% Selection Committee OR Terry Baloun, SFSA Vice President
200 N. Phillips Ave. Suite 304 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sioux Falls, S.D. 57104
Location/Region: Sioux Falls